Sunday, October 17, 2010

On the shores of a Deep New Sea

Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to look at my blog. My name is Alex King, a 4th-year Mathematics student at the University of Virginia. I have come to many realizations this year-- some mathematical, some far from it-- but my appreciation for the beauty of mathematics has bloomed to a point where I can no longer contain my ideas. While traditional mathematics are certainly intriguing, I am most fascinated by the power of axiomatic thinking in fields that are NOT seen as mathematical in nature.

I truly believe that the mathematicization of academia is humanity's next epistemic venture. Axioms and abstraction are powerful tools that allow us to draw significant conclusions from very lenient assumptions. Many say that our "last frontier" is space, and yet others contend that this title belongs to Earth's oceans, the deep blue sea. I instead urge you to reconsider the way you think and explore a deep new sea, one that is filled with possibilities, exotic species of problems, and elusive answers.



With this blog I aim to:

-Share ideas that I find fascinating in the hopes that someone else will as well

-Inspire and encourage dialog, especially among young people, about the aforementioned topics

-Learn and grow from the ideas of others as I further my study of mathematics

Thanks so much, and don't hesitate to contact me,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment